Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Watch out for scams.....

I don't normally post yucky negative stuff, but I thought this post may help someone out in the future. There are LOTS and LOTS of internet scams out there (well lots of scams out there period) so I just thought I'd let you all know about the one that affects photographers. It's actually not a new idea. I've received about 5 of these type of e-mails over the past 3 years. The first one I got just seemed like something wasn't right so I just ignored it and shortly after that the Professional Photographers of America sent out warnings about these types of e-mails. They do not give you a phone number and only want to communicate via e-mail. It's usually from someone out of state or out of the country that wants you to photograph their wedding and the english (not that my writing skills are all that great either....lol) is usually very strange. Apparently what happens is if you reply and try to get the photography "job" they end up sending you a "check" that you are supposed to cash and immediately send a money order to "another vendor" (I know I'm using way to many quotation marks) well what happens is the check they have sent you is BAD and you have already sent a money order on to another vendor.....who is actually them. That's how they get your money. Anyway here is the e-mail I received and thought I'd let you all read it so you are aware of this internet scam.


*EDIT 1-15-07

I just received an e-mail from another photographer who got a very similar e-mail. The wording is a bit different so just thought I'd post it too. Here ya go:

"Hello Friend, how are you doing ? My name is Lili, I'm from Catano, (Puerto Rico) i will be coming over to the state soon to start my new job with my company branch and i'll be getting married just before then to my lovely guy named Matt... We need a wedding photographer to take care of all the pictures for the ceremony from the church to the hotel reception. I would like to find out what your plans are for March 8, 2008 which is the date of our wedding. Please kindly let us know your availability for this date, and also the cost/pricing of your service to be rendered per hour. We' ll need to know as much information needed so as to futher with the wedding arrangements.We're hoping to read from you soon, have a blissful day ! Sincerely, Lili & Matt"



"Hello Friend, My name is Lili McClure from Los Angeles, CA. presently in Cotonou City, and probably will be moving back home soon, and i'll be getting married shortly after my arrival, to my lovely guy named Matt. We will need a wedding photographer to take care of all the pictures for the ceremony from the church to the hotel reception, kindly let me know if you can be of help to me with about 4 hours service, as i will like you to provide me your pricing rates charged per hour. Kindly let us know your availability for this date, March 8th, 2008, which is the date of our wedding. The venue of the wedding will be made known to you in my next e-mail, we might not be able to meet you soon until few days to the wedding as planned, also we are willing to make deposit payment prior to my arrival to be sure we are interested in your service. I'll be awaiting your response soon enough. Here is my email address in future references lilimcclure77@ . My regards, Lili"

13 Comments make me :):

Andrea Flanagan said...

I got the EXACT same email from "Lili Mclure" this morning, another photog tipped me of to your blog post with the exact same "bride". Interesting isn't it!

Thanks, best of luck!

Shannon Lott said...

I just got that exact same email this morning too from "Lili McClure"! I thought it was very weird and planned on not responding...so I did a search on her name and found your post!

Tira J said...

I also received the exact same thing from our friend Lili! Should someone contact Wedding Channel? This is crazy! My Lili is moving back from Puerto Rico. Thank you for posting this entry on your blog!

Faye Sommer said...

I did forward this e-mail to the wedding channel but never heard a direct response. I'm sure it's very difficult for them to catch mass market scams, but it would be helpful if they did.

:)

Anonymous said...

Hi, yep I got this too (we are henshallphotography.com, based in Los Angeles)

I called the venue and they confirmed they have no booking.

Thanks for the initial post...here's more text for your interest.

Will Henshall

-----------------------------------------

Hello Will & Naomi,

Thanks for keeping in touch with us. I haven't been able to write out to you because Matt have been out to Republic of Benin, making arrangements for the services of a band who will be responsible for music on the wedding day.

Well, here is what we want; We will be employing your service for about 4 hours, with high quality images on 2CDs and a DVD, a parent's album because we will be sending some of the pictures to Matt's family in Brazil and Ireland, and we will also need high quality pictures for future references, and I'm sure we could browse through your website for more prints in future after the wedding event. Please get back to us with the pricing rate for what i have described above so that we can have further discussions.

Also, we want you to know that we are having two locations for the wedding that's from the church to the reception and please we'll like to know your location so as to know how much it will cost you to get to the event location, here's the hotel location below,

Sunset Tower Hotel
8358 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90069

and here is the church address;
Abiding Love Christian Fellowship

1410 W Slauson Ave Los Angeles, CA


We hope this message gets to you in good health, we are waiting to read from you soon.

Sincerely,

Lili & Matt

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. Something was weird about it and I found your blog by Googling her name. I appreciate you making an effort to get the word out and save us all a lot of hassle. Best wishes in '08

Kevin La Presle

Anonymous said...

I had Mrs Janne Willsllay contact me using the same type of emails along with using Sunset Tower Hotel and Abiding Love Christian Fellowship Church as her fake venues.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. I got the same email last week.

Anonymous said...

Lili is still at it. I got the email last week.

Anonymous said...

I also got this email last night and it's AUGUST! wow, can't believe this is still going on.

Elegant Memories said...

I receive the same email. I've contact the Wedding Channel advising them of this Scam.

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! She must still be making some money because she is still at it.

Customer Name : Lili McClure
Email : lilimcclure@yahoo.com
Phone :
Wedding Date : 1/10/2009
Comments: Hello Friend, I am Lili, from Cantano, PR. and probably will be relocating to Florida to live with my fiance, and i'll be getting married shortly after my arrival, to my lovely guy named Eduardo... I will need a wedding photographer to take care of all the pictures for the ceremony from the church to the hotel reception. Kindly let me know your schedule of service for 6 hours, as i will like you to provide me your pricing rates charged per hour... I will like to find out what your plans are for January 10th, 2009 which is the date of my wedding, let me know your availability for this date. The venue of the wedding as not yet been decided but will be made known to you in my next e-mail, also i will like you to know that we will be responsible for whatever it will cost you to get to the occasion venue... I am looking forward to read from you as soon as possible. Awaiting your response soon enough.Sincerely, Lili & Eduardo

Anonymous said...

We got this one today:

Hi, hope you're having a wonderful time!!!
My name is Jacqueline Maldonado, I'm originally from Puerto Rico and currently living in Manchester, UK which is also where my fiance Chris Grover resides.
We'll be moving to the US to start a new life 'cause my husband to be just got a new job in.Middleburg,Va Just before then we will be getting married on the 2nd of October, 2009 (Our wedding date) and we're getting married in the States.
We will need your services to design our wedding with flowers for a beautiful and memorable wedding as we are in love with flowers. Our wedding ceremony and reception will take place in a location and we are inviting 80 guests from which about 80% of the guests will be foreigners from Puerto Rico, Colombia, Bahamas, Brazil and other parts of America.
We are interested in a personalized/customized floral design package according to our flower needs. Our favorite flowers are roses though we love so many different flowers too like calla lilies, orchids, sun flowers, hydrangeas, tulips which are the major flowers you'll base your quote on for the bouquets.
We are thinking of doing the wedding planning ourselves because we don't want to pay much extra for that but we will be employing the services of a planner on the Day of the wedding to supervise all vendors because i will be coming over to the states by September to meet with vendors myself for face to face consultations and if we're employing your services we would meet by then too. Please let us know if you can help beautify our wedding ceremony and reception!
Enjoy a beautiful week!!!
Regards,
Jacqueline & Chris.